In the Guardians of Ga'hoole series, author Kathryn Lasky credits many real-world people and events as inspirations (such as Winston Churchill and and Battle of Thermopylae). However, there are many other suspected real-world connections to characters and locations in the books.
Unless it is confirmed by Lasky in the books, all of these are fan speculations.
- He is wise but has a damaged eye, much like the Norse God Odin.
- His name, Lyze, may have come from the Norwegian word for "bright", lyse.
- Likley named after Snorri Sturluson, a Scandinavian poet and politician and author of The Eddas, poems telling the stories of the Norse legends.
- She may be named after a ship, the MV Struma.
- Often called Q, this is likely a reference to Q from the James Bond series.
- Middle Kingdom is a name given to the inner provinces of China.
- Sounds similar to Alabama, a US state.